Monday, July 27, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (#1)



It's Monday! What Are You Reading is a weekly meme hosted by Book Journey where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week...and anything in between! This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well...you never know where that next "must read" book will come from!

Im excited to start this weekly meme!




Last week I finished The Secret Life Of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd! I had to read this book for school but it was a lot better than I had expected it to be! I had expected it to be super boring because The Secret Life of Bees is not a book I would normally read but I really liked it!

Synopsis:
Set in South Carolina in 1964, The Secret Life of Bees tells the story of Lily Owens, whose life has been shaped around the blurred memory of the afternoon her mother was killed. When Lily's fierce-hearted black "stand-in mother," Rosaleen, insults three of the deepest racists in town, Lily decides to spring them both free. They escape to Tiburon, South Carolina--a town that holds the secret to her mother's past. Taken in by an eccentric trio of black beekeeping sisters, Lily is introduced to their mesmerizing world of bees and honey, and the Black Madonna. This is a remarkable novel about divine female power, a story women will share and pass on to their daughters for years to come.





Right now Im currently reading The Martian by Andy Weir!
Im so glad I picked up this book because it seems super interesting! Im only 20 pages in but its really good so far!

Synopsis:
Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars. Now, he's sure he'll be the first person to die there. After a dust storm nearly kills him & forces his crew to evacuate while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded & completely alone with no way to even signal Earth that he’s alive—& even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone long before a rescue could arrive. Chances are, though, he won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment or plain-old "human error" are much more likely to kill him first. But Mark isn't ready to give up yet. Drawing on his ingenuity, his engineering skills—& a relentless, dogged refusal to quit—he steadfastly confronts one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next. Will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds against him?

Im also currently reading, Marked by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast. I know a lot of people disliked this book and the whole series in general but a friend recommended it to me and I love it so far! So thank you Madison (www.bookreviewsbymadi.blogspot.com) for recommending the book to me!

Synopsis:
After a Vampire Tracker Marks her with a crescent moon on her forehead, 16-year-old Zoey Redbird enters the House of Night and learns that she is no average fledgling. She has been Marked as special by the vampyre Goddess Nyx and has affinities for all five elements: Air, Fire Water, Earth and Spirit. But she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers. When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school’s most elite club, is mis-using her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny – with a little help from her new vampyre friends (or Nerd Herd, as Aphrodite calls them).

Thanks for reading! What are you currently reading? Comment below! 
-Piper

3 comments:

  1. I have read both - The secret life of Bees and The Martian. Both books are great but The Martian is amazing. I simply loved it. Waiting for the movie now.

    Currently I am reading The Rumor by Elin Hilderbrand and I am really enjoying it!

    Nita@ www.book-choose.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. All oyur books look really interesting! I haven't read them but I'll definitely check them out. I'm currently reading Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira after devouring Sarah J Maas' Throne of Glass series and A Court of Thorn and Roses. I've also nominated you for the Book Combo Tag! Check out the rules here:
    http://lessrealitymorebooks.blogspot.ie/2015/07/the-book-combo-tag-i-was-tagged-by.html#comment-form

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh nice! I haven't read the first two, but I did try reading Marked. I just wasn't blown away enough to want to continue the series, but I do hope you thoroughly enjoy it!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete