Monday, April 6, 2015

The Cellar by Natasha Preston (Review #1)



The Cellar by Natasha Preston


Summary:

When sixteen-year-old Summer Robinson goes missing one night, her family, friends and boyfriend are devastated. Nothing ever happens in Long Thorpe, so the disappearance of a school girl shocks the whole community. The police waste no time in launching a search and investigation, but with nothing to go on and no trace of Summer, hopes of finding her quickly fade.

Colin Brown, is a thirty-year-old solicitor living alone after the death of his mother. He suffered a traumatic and abusive childhood, and is left with no sense of right or wrong. Desperate for the perfect family, Colin, referring to himself as Clover, turns to drastic measures to get what he wants.

Review:

So, I really enjoyed this book. It pulled me in from the first chapter. It's a very fast paced book and keeps you interested from the first page. It kept you wondering what would happen next and would would happen in the end.

I really loved that it was told in 3 alternating POVs: Summer/Lily, Lewis (Summer's boyfriend) and Collin/Clover (the kidnapper). I enjoyed the glimpse into Clover's POV and it showed how unstable he was.  The flashbacks throughout the story really help you understand the character better and see what life was like before Clover kidnapped them and why he kidnapped them in the first place.  And while I certainly had no sympathy for him, I definitely appreciated the insight into his past that the author provided. 

Overall, I gave it 5 stars and and its a great mystery/thriller read for those who like kidnapping stories. I was not disappointed when I picked up this book. I recommend it to everyone who likes a good mystery.



1 comment:

  1. Have you read Silence by Natasha Preston yet? That is the only one of her books I have read so far. Here is my review of Silence. http://heysaidrenee.blogspot.com.au/2014/10/efreeding.html

    ReplyDelete